Ending your marriage can be painful emotionally, but it can become even more difficult when the divorce process doesn’t go smoothly and you face a number of challenges before you can truly move on with your life. In a time like this, you need a seasoned divorce lawyer who can be by your side to support you as you end one chapter of your life and begin a new one.
There are many aspects of a divorce that can cause the process to become lengthy and arduous, including:
- Child custody
- Child support
- Distribution of marital property
- Spousal support or alimony
In the state of Maryland, there are many grounds for divorce, however, only some will end the marital relationship completely. Examples of grounds for absolute divorce include but are not limited to:
- Desertion for 12 months
- A spouse is confined to a mental institution for three years prior to filing
- Conviction of a crime where a spouse is sentenced to three years incarceration (filing for divorce must take place 12 months after sentencing)
A limited divorce, in which either spouse is not free to remarry and is similar to a legal separation, can be filed under the following grounds:
- Excessively vicious conduct towards one spouse or that person’s child
- Cruel treatment towards one spouse or that person’s child
- Voluntary separation
If you are considering filing for divorce, assert your rights throughout the process and reach the most amicable dissolution of marriage by retaining an experienced divorce attorney. Call Felipe Santo Domingo today for a consultation. 1-800-Have-DUI.