When you decide to get a divorce, it can be a frustrating and upsetting process. Spousal support is typically one of the most complex aspects of settling a dissolution of marriage. Spousal support is a cause for concern for both spouses, and determining whether spousal support should be awarded and how much should be awarded can be a very lengthy process.
Some of the factors that a Maryland court will look at when awarding spousal support are:
- The ability of the payor spouse to pay spousal support
- The financial needs of the spouse filing for support
- How long the marriage lasted
- Whether the spouse filing for support has a permanent disability, illness, or an infirmity that prevents him or her from being self sufficient
- The age of each spouse
- The standard of living both spouses became accustomed to during the marriage
- The income and assets of each spouse
- What caused the marriage to end
- Whether the spouse requesting alimony requires substantial education or retraining to become self sufficient
- Any agreement made before or during the marriage regarding spousal support
- Financial obligations that each spouse may or may not have
Getting a divorce is a trying experience and you need an understanding, compassionate attorney by your side who is well versed in Maryland spousal support laws. Felipe Santo Domingo is a seasoned Baltimore spousal support attorney who can help you throughout the divorce process, whether you are the spouse requesting support or the payor spouse.
Assert your rights in your spousal support case. Call Felipe Santo Domingo today. 1-800-Have-DUI.